- The stack: Postgres, Node.js/Express.js, React. Currently running on Heroku, eventually AWS
- The product: we help CFOs at subscription companies do their jobs more effectively
- The way we work:
- This is a remote job - work anywhere you want! Any timezone on earth (or outside earth, whatever)
- We are an asynchronous team - we don’t do scheduled meetings, and rely on each team member to pick their own schedule and to communicate clearly in writing and with recorded videos
- We operate completely autonomously - no one will tell you what to do, we’ll just tell you the goals and you will figure out how to work towards them with the rest of the team
- The role you’ll play on our team:
- You’d be one of the first four engineers on the team, and the first very senior hire
- You’ll work on database design and implementation, complex data management problems, API design and implementation, some front-end React app code, building and iterating on our product, collaborating with designers and founders, and making a product that users will love
- Like all start-ups we’re scrappy, but not scrappy on compensation: Chiffer is committed to paying our awesome team members at market-rate, including benefits.
- You’re an excellent senior engineer who has (senior: 5+ / principal: 10+) years of experience building web applications, designing databases and APIs, and working with others
- You’re a great communicator via writing, and via recorded videos
- You’re excited about working on a globally-distributed and diverse team, in an incredibly unique culture where autonomy, accountability, and ownership are equally as valued as your skillset.
- That’s it.
- Unlimited vacation
- Completely flexible work schedule - work literally anytime (and anywhere) you want!
- Benefits appropriate to your location (health/dental/vision in the USA)
- Company wide retreats multiple times per year
The interview process
Our interview process is designed to focus on your skills as a software engineer, and your ability to communicate clearly. We’re a fully asynchronous company, so that’s how we will communicate in this interview process too
- We’ll do a quick review of your background based on what you include in your application email
- If it’s a fit, we’ll ask you to work on a ~90 minute exercise while recording a loom (or other screen recording) video
- If we like what we see, we’ll ask you some questions over email
- If everything seems like a fit, we’ll ask you to work on one more ~90 minute exercise while recording a video
- And finally, hopefully we’ll send you an offer. And hopefully you’ll accept!