Senior Software Engineer, Mobile (iOS)
- LocationRemote / Relocation
- TypeFull-time candidate
- Salary£52k - £80k / year
About the role
Make a difference 💫
It's an exciting time in the accounting and banking space. We're seeing a revolution in the FinTech industry, and new government initiatives such as Making Tax Digital and Open Banking are opening up new features and products for customers.
The technology in this space is changing rapidly and at FreeAgent we're working on the cutting edge. We're focused on providing the best possible user experience for our growing customer base.
Creating the best place to work 👩🏽💻
We want people to be productive, to have career opportunities, to be focused on meaningful work and to have an excellent work/life balance. We like to think we work smarter, not harder, which is why we stick to a 35-hour working week and still Get Things Done.
We have built a powerful CI/CD platform which can run 40,000 automated tests in five minutes which allows us to remain productive at scale, and allows all engineers, regardless of level, to deploy code to production multiple times a day.
We value a diverse team, and we believe the variety of experiences and backgrounds in our team make us stronger. We believe in a learning culture and encourage self-development. We have regular 'wiggle weeks' and we hold our legendary 'Hack Days' twice a year. Engineers write about what they do, and what they learn, on our popular engineering blog.
We have an amazing office in central Edinburgh (one of the great cities of the world), and our work environment is light and bright with inspiring spaces and quiet places. If you're based in the office you'll enjoy catered lunches every Friday, weekly yoga and many other perks and treats. Watch this video to find out more about life in Engineering!
The Role 👷
We’re looking for an experienced senior software engineer to join our Mobile Engineering team. You’ll work with a collaborative group of engineers and designers, helping to take advantage of the latest features of Swift and iOS to take the product forward. You'll have opportunities to build new exciting features as well as improve the design and refine how existing features work.
Day-to-day, here’s what you can expect:
- You’ll be helping others grow - senior engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to mentor others, providing technical leadership and helping to grow their teams
- You’ll be striving for results - engineers at FreeAgent have the opportunity to work alongside developers of different levels of seniority on the design of efficient and elegant solutions to solve difficult problems
- You’ll be learning from others - you’ll get feedback not just from your colleagues, but from customers too, and you’ll use this to help continually improve yourself, your teammates, and our codebase
- You’ll be growing every day - we encourage initiative, innovation and professional development through activities like company hack days and our weekly engineering discussion forum
Technologies we use: XCode, Swift, MVVM, XCTest, Appium
Apps we use: GitHub, Trello, G Suite, Notion, Miro, Humio, Bitrise for CI
Ideally you’ll have:
- Commercial iOS development experience with at least one app in the App Store
- A level of comfort working with Swift and knowledge of Objective-C is beneficial
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Knowledge of best practices and iOS architectures, ideally MVVM
- Willingness to mentor and work with a distributed team of engineers.
- Experience with CI and testing mobile apps (unit tests, automated tests - we use Bitrise and XCTest)
- Passion for building great UI and UX
- Stellar communication and organisation skills
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative environment while embracing accountability
- A learning mindset, always open to improve yourself and learn from others
- Pragmatism; being committed to getting things done while understanding tradeoffs
- A high level of self-motivation and self-awareness
- A commitment to ongoing self-development, improving both technical and soft skills. If you have the commitment, we can provide opportunities for you.
- Strong communication skills. Being able to write well and articulate your thoughts are great skills to have in any business.
Annual salary £52,000 - £80,000 (plus 15/20% outer/inner-London weighting) depending on experience, plus we provide a comprehensive package of employee benefits, which have been carefully selected to protect you, to promote healthy lifestyles, and to give you peace of mind. You can read more about these on our website.
Applying for the role ✍
Our application process is simple; just upload your CV and answer a few questions about why you are interested in this opportunity.
Our selection process involves a phone interview, a practical exercise and a visit to our beautiful Edinburgh office so you can meet the team (this may be done remotely). We work hard to make the process as straightforward, transparent and enjoyable as possible.
We really care about building an inclusive and diverse team, and we welcome applications from people with varied backgrounds and perspectives. We want to make sure that the people who build FreeAgent are reflecting our diverse customer base and bringing with them a range of ideas and experiences. What unites us is an openness to suggestions, and a drive to solve problems in the best way possible.
Don’t forget to tell us about why you think FreeAgent is the right place for you to make a difference!
Please indicate in your cover letter that you are applying from Make it in Ukraine.
About the company
- One of the UK's most popular small business finance apps with over 90,000 customers. We help small businesses sort out the mess and the stress of managing their business finances.
- Loved and adored by customers. We have an NPS of 70 (which is considered "exceptional").
- Rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ on Trustpilot. See what customers say
This is your chance to come and shape the future of small business banking and accounting!