WordPress Support Engineer
- TypeFull-time candidate
About the role
Our customer-facing WordPress support role requires a mix of debugging and development experience as well as outstanding communication skills. You’ll be working directly with both client and agency developers, side-by-side with our Senior WordPress Engineers, on some of the highest-profile and highest-traffic WordPress sites in the world.
We are looking for people with compassion, writing skills, accountability, WordPress knowledge, and code savviness.
A day would involve:
- Maintaining the quality, accuracy, and thoroughness that is part of our high-touch, concierge, technical support.
- Helping clients and teammates via tickets and real-time discussions using a variety of research, debugging, tools, processes, detailed error reporting, and documentation.
- Solving tough problems with client sites, themes, and platform tools that often deal with edge cases and WordPress internals at scale.
- Handling fast paced situations and one-off projects involving complex dependencies, multiple partners, and tight deadlines.
- Observing and relaying chances to make our platform, services, and overall offering more appealing.
- Building and updating internal and client-facing documentation.
- Excellent communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is vital.
- Self-motivated work ethic. You should be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Keeping up to date with changing WordPress and technology trends on behalf of the VIP team and clients, often training others once you’ve become proficient. Flexibility is key.
- Proficiency and eloquence in written English. Additional spoken or written languages can be beneficial.
Useful skills to have:
- Patience, grace, and a sense of humor!
- A deep knowledge of WordPress and some of its plugins, themes, and WP-CLI.
- Experience working primarily in a customer-facing role, including support and training.
- Superb troubleshooting skills that help you take big problems and break them down into manageable pieces with elegant solutions.
- Understanding of issues around scalability and performance.
- Exposure to monitoring tools such as Kibana and New Relic.
We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and compassion to those with whom we interact.
Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socio-economic background, cultural background, geographic location, physical disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age.
To work on diversity means that we encourage these differences, and strive to improve the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. Working from a coffee shop? You can use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte!
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you’ll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you’ve been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe.
- Other benefits are country-specific and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.
Please indicate in your cover letter that you are applying from Make it in Ukraine.
About the company
We help enterprises realize the power of the open web.
We handle infrastructure, performance, and security at scale, so our clients are free to focus on what matters. With our unparalleled agility, flexibility, and interoperability, WordPress VIP is the best digital experience solution at scale.