- Salary$80k – $150k
About the role
We are a small, early stage team looking for great developers who want to jump in and take major systems and user-facing features from design to launch. Here's where we are now:
- We are operating in Amazon Web Services. Our services are mainly deployed on EC2 provisioned with Terraform.
- We also heavily use other technology on AWS such as DynamoDB, S3, and RDS.
- Our backend includes a data ingestion web service with supporting Kinesis consumers, along with a growing array of Spark projects. It’s written mostly in Scala, with a smattering of Python for lambda functions.
- We sit somewhere in the middle of the “Scala as a worse Haskell” and “Scala as a better Java” spectrum. We love functional programming and we do make use of libraries like cats, but at the same time we heavily favor core language features and have no intention of rewriting everything using Free Monads.
- Our frontend is written in Typescript with Angular5 and a supporting API running on Node, and is deployed and monitored using much the same supporting tech as the backend.
- Other services we use include: GitHub, CircleCI, DataDog.
Here are some examples of projects that we would like some help with:
- Interactive tools to help buyers discover the data they need to accomplish their business objectives.
- Interactive tools to help sellers maximize the yield from the data that they are selling.
- Data analytics pipelines to drive the interactive report UIs. For example: reports for yield forecasting and deal pre-qualification.
- Implementing additional infrastructure to support transactions for more types of data.
- Improving the latency and resource usage of our transaction processes.
The ideal candidate should:
- Thoroughly understand the HTTP lifecycle and how the browser interacts with web APIs.
- Enjoy building fast, user-friendly UIs.
- Not be afraid of contributing to the entire stack when the need arises, given that Frontend doesn’t simply mean UI. For instance, a feature might require
- some metrics to be computed from a Spark Report
- creating a MySQL migration script
- tweaking S3 permissions and terraform scripts for deployment
You don’t need to be an expert in all of our stack, but we are looking for someone with strong technical skills who is eager to pick up new technologies as necessary.
We are building the team with a remote-first mindset, and as a result every team member is expected to have an ability to synthesize business requirements, distill the domain, contribute to high-level design documents, efficiently communicate asynchronously, and more generally work autonomously toward a shared vision.
Continuously investing in quality (code quality, tests, pull request reviews, refactoring…) is part of our strategy to sustainably maximize the business value we deliver.
About the company
Narrative is building a platform to support modern businesses who want to buy and/or sell their data assets. The thesis is that there is a burgeoning data economy that is being held back by lack of tooling and massive inefficiencies around discovery, pricing/value, and delivery of the data. We're building out a platform that helps eliminate those inefficiencies.